Armed Forces Covenant Commitment
Kilburn Parish Council have signed up to the Armed Forces Covenant Commitment to support current and ex service personnel and their families in the aim that they should face no disadvantage compared to other citizens in the provision of public and commercial services.
As part of agreement, Kilburn Parish Council Have committed to the following:
Section 1: Principles of the Armed Forces Covenant
1.1 We Kilburn Parish Council will endeavour in our business dealings to uphold the key principles of the Armed Forces Covenant, which are:
· no member of the Armed Forces Community should face disadvantage in the provision of public and commercial services compared to any other citizen
· in some circumstances special treatment may be appropriate especially for the injured or bereaved.
Section 2: Demonstrating our Commitment
2.1 We recognise the value of serving personnel, reservists, veterans and military families; and will aim to uphold the principles of the Armed Forces Covenant, by seeking to:
· appoint an Armed Forces Champion who will raise awareness of the Armed Forces Covenant and signpost the Armed Forces community when needing advice and guidance;
· promote the fact that we are an Armed Forces-friendly Council, to our members and wider public; celebrating the work of the Armed Forces and encouraging positive interaction between them and members of the public;
· recognise that military veterans are a valued part of our community; facilitating and encouraging their participation in civic and community events; providing a link to the Veterans Gateway on our website;
· encourage local businesses to support the employment of Service spouses and partners;
· encourage local businesses to support the employment of Reservists;
· encourage support for and membership of local military sponsored cadet units;
· promote Armed Forces events such as local Breakfast Clubs, Armed Forces Day, Reserves Day, the Poppy Appeal Day and Remembrance activities;
· encourage support for Armed Forces charities;.
· Encourage local businesses to consider offering discounts to members of the Armed Forces community.
2.2 We will publicise these commitments through our literature, noticeboards and on our website, setting out how we will seek to honour them and inviting feedback from the Service community and our customers on how we are doing.